Pages

Friday 13 May 2011

Who Walks Who?

After we drop my daughter off at school, my son and I head home to walk the newest addition to the family. The last few walks have been tough because my son doesn't want to walk that far. He whines in that grate-on-your-last-known-nerve way that only kids can--for the whole 45 minute walk. Walk with me a minute:

Him: "I can't go any more"
Me: "We've only gone two houses. You can go farther."

Him:  "I can't walk farther"
Me: "Are you sure? You're a big boy who can do anything you want to."

Him: "I'm too tired" followed quickly by  "My legs are just tired"
Me: "But you did a four hour hike at Nahahi Ridge last year. And you are bigger and stronger now!"

Him: "Piggyback me, please? You can do it, Mooooooom!"
Me: "I can't walk Nakoda AND piggyback you--Mommy might drop you."

Him: "It's just because I'm so tired." (every syllable stretched as far as possible).
Me: "You shouldn't get up at 6am."
Him: "But Mooooooooooooooooooooom!" with full body flailing and head thrown back at an unnatural angle.

So I figured out the perfect solution: have him ride his bike. He loves to ride his bike! That will fix it. Nope.  I think he whined more. I tell him we are too far from home for me to walk his bike so he needs to ride it.

"Help me, Mom. I need a push." his sweet boy voice says with eyes glistening in plea. I melt.

Picture it: The dog walking beside me on the right. Me bending to the left, half jogging, pushing his bike most of the way home. At least Nakoda got 45 minutes of walking in--and I have new muscles to target in my workouts.

I was smarter the next day: the wagon--that will work! We had a whine free walk, I think.

The wagon is this green machine with horrible hard plastic wheels that vibrate over every pebble in a way that sends seizmic ripples up your arm. It amplifies every single rock, twig or ant it rolls over. It is noisy. So noisy that the dog keeps his ears down the whole 50 minute walk.

Is this really better than whining? Marginally. Every so often the wagon clips my heels then Nakoda's.

I tell myself the exercise is for the dog.  He needs the exercise to be happy.  It's to burn off his energy.

So why am I the one that is so tired?!

No comments:

Post a Comment